4.08.2017

The Raven Boys | Book Review

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1)


Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Paranormal
Pages: 416
Goodreads rating: 4.05/5
My rating: 5/5

















Hello guys!

It has been a long time since I post anything here, and I missed the blog so much. I should be on hiatus, considering my March test result wasn't so good, but I passed nonetheless, Alhamdulillah. But I want to post something so that my blog wouldn't be full of webs and that sort of things.

So, last term break, I read a lot of books, and one of the books is The Raven Boys. Before I start writing about what I think about the book, you may read the synopsis first.


SYNOPSIS

“There are only two reasons a non-seer would see a spirit on St. Mark’s Eve,” Neeve said. “Either you’re his true love . . . or you killed him.”


It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive.

Every year, Blue S
argent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her.

His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.

But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.

For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.

From Maggie Stiefvater, the bestselling and acclaimed author of the Shiver trilogy and The Scorpio Races, comes a spellbinding new series where the inevitability of death and the nature of love lead us to a place we’ve never been before. (source: Goodreads)



REVIEW

I heard about this book tons of times. The book reviews of this book are everywhere; on Youtube, Goodreads and some blogs and websites. My favorite Youtubers mentioned this book and it was in a lot of book recommendations I watched/read. The book was on my e-reader bookshelf for so long, and one certain day, I finally found my way to this book. And I wondered... why didn't I read this book earlier?



"If Blue was to kiss her true love, he would die. For a long time, this bothered Blue. The warning was specific, certainly, but in the way of a fairy tale. It didn't say how her true love would die. It didn't say how long after the kiss he would survive. Did it have to be a kiss on the lips? Would a chaste peck on the back of his palm prove as deadly?" {Excerpt of Chapter 1, The Raven Boys}

The whole theme intrigued me. The excerpt I put above wasn't in the first page of the book, but I was hooked from the very first page. The very first sentence. As much as I shouldn't, I love paranormal things; it fascinates me, and Blue's family traded in predictions and I loved the theme so so so much. I didn't read a lot of fantasies in the past, but I'm sure this book is a good one.

I adored Blue's family. It's the way I adored the Song/Covey family in To All The Boys I Loved Before trilogy, the family in Strange And Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender and almost like how I loved the Weasleys. The women Blue lives with are so amazing I wished I could jump into the book and be apart of the family. Not just they had fantastic ability that I really loved, they also had the attitude that I admire!

The plot is interesting and it was a bit slow paced because it was a character-driven book, but that's okay for me. The theme had me hooked and I was fascinated by the paranormal thingy.

Now lets talk about the Raven Boys.

Richard Gansey III: Gansey oh Gansey. A lot of people who read this book didn't really like Gansey because of his obliviousness of how he hurt people by using his privilege. But I loved him. He was so ambitious and he cared a lot about people around him although sometimes the way he helped people around him hurts them. He'd do anything for them, I swear. And it's so adorable.

Adam Parrish: Do I need to mention again how much I love the name 'Adam'? I get really excited whenever I see the name 'Adam' whether it's in a book, movie, anywhere. And Adam Parrish is so lovable. He was the only Aglionby boy that was not filthy rich and he was so independent. I cared for him a lot. He's like my little child (except that I don't have a child) that I want to protect forever. 

Noah: My heart broke for Noah. Although his character didn't really stand out like the others, but I loved him as much as I did the others. I wanted to give him a hug for what he had been through. A lot of hugs.

RONAN LYNCH: The only reason I write Ronan's name in capital letters is because I really really admire, adore, like, love him. He was so complex, mysterious, interesting and I need more Ronan in the next book please. He was the kind of boy that looks scary outside but has a very gentle side of him that is hidden. I mean, he took care of a little raven, isn't that cute? I can't not give the book 5 stars when Ronan is in this. 

To conclude, I love the characters, the whole theme of this book and again, I love the characters. The characters are the main reason I'll be continuing this series. And lets hope for more Ronan. And Blue sorting out her love interest issue. 


"She wasn't interested in telling other people's futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own."


I hope you enjoy the review, and do comment below if you already read the book! Au revoir, assalamualaikum😄

Love,
Pypaa.

4 comments

  1. I'm not a book lover but still something read some book ( more to general genre book ). Hopefully someday, i has chance to read English novel, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so :) J.K. Rowling said: "If you don't like reading, you haven't found the right book." I believe in this words. Maybe someday you'll find a book that you'll love.

      Delete
  2. Argh now this seems interesting although how far I've been ignoring this book but your review m ake my heart itch a bit to read the book. Seems like this book is what I really need right now. :D 5/5 ahhh. Hahaha. I hope my heart does not breaks into pieces.

    Thanks pypa for the review. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it! I would love to know your thought about the book :) I ignored it for so long too, and I don't know lah why it took me so long to read it. I can't promise that you'll like it since it has a mixed reviews, but if you enjoy reading about friendship growth and paranormal adventure, you might love it like I do.

      Delete

Latest Instagrams

© Nabila's. Design by FCD.